& Castle Square URC
29th May 2022
We welcome all who join us in worship today either on Zoom, at St David’s or later on YouTube.
As it is the 5th Sunday of the month, we will be joining churches throughout Wales for the Synod Sunday which has been planned and prepared by the URC Synod support team – the theme is ‘Celebration’.
This will be a ZOOM service and we are invited to join in the pre-service chat from 10.30am,
The service will also be available later on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1ftWuXHexnfFdo1FKwXBZA
At the same time, for those who don’t have internet access or prefer ‘live’ worship there is an alternative service at St David’s led by Michael Howells.
Church Family and Pastoral News
- The date and time of Cerys’ funeral has yet to be confirmed. More details in next week’s newsletter. We continue to hold Stephen and Cerys’ family in our prayers in the meantime.
- We sympathise with Marilyn Dilworth and the family on the sad news that her sister-in-law died on Wednesday following an operation.
- We remember those who are at this time, unable to join us for worship, especially Loreen, John Edwards, Hettie, Martha, John and Jean, Gill Miller, Mair and Elwyn.
- There are some who are still reluctant to return to in-house worship, we hold them in our prayers and assure them that they will not be forgotten and a warm welcome awaits them when they feel able to worship with us.
There are 7 people that we are aware of who have their birthdays this week, we hope they enjoy the day however they choose to celebrate: TODAY (29th May) – Jayne Bright and Margaret Morris, Tuesday 31st May – Deborah Jones, Wednesday 1st June – John Davies and Marilyn Young, Thursday 2nd June – Liz Henson and Vaughan Rees.
Calling all who love to sing! The singing group, who have contributed to our worship so well during the pandemic, will be meeting again to record hymns to be used in our services.
Starting on Wednesday, 1st June at 6.30pm they will meet in the sanctuary and would welcome others who enjoy singing to join them.
Four times a year – on 5th Sundays – we join in worship with our sisters and brothers across the United Reformed Church’s National Synod of Wales. This service – online and on paper – reminds us of our part in the wider Church and place in God’s inclusive kingdom. For those interested in connecting with the wider Church – whether URC, Baptist, PCW or other – might like to consider signing up to one of the following events:
- Big Day Out – June 25th
- Maesyronnen Chapel’s 325th anniversary – June 25-26th – https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/maesyronnen-chapel-open-days-tickets-260204347207
- South Wales’ Baptist Association’s ‘Prayer, Picnic & Party Day’ – Camarthen – June 25th –https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/gweddi-gwyl-a-hwyl-prayer-picnic-and-party-tickets-313579965117
Next Sunday – Pentecost! Pride! Jubilee!
Whether you want to celebrate the Queen or queens; the birth of the Church or just the fact that we have a 4-day weekend, next Sunday, we’ve a plethora of events to enjoy:
- 10:45am – Gelliwastad Road – Ray Vincent leads our morning worship with some guests from the Independent Office for Police Conduct’s Pride network who have been encouraged by our inclusive approach
- 2pm – Castle Square – Phil leads a short Jubilee-themed service before we tuck into an afternoon tea! NO morning service!
- 5-7pm – Gelliwastad Road – Let the games commence as we raise some money for Christian Aid with fun for both body and mind. All most welcome.
BBC Wales Celebration Service – July 5th
Next week’s Celebration worship on Radio Wales will come from Castle Square URC, where Phil and Jan will take part in a service led by Beverley Humphreys. The service will be aired at 7:30 – both am and pm or can be accessed through BBC Sounds.
St. David’s Uniting Church Eldership nominations
Today is the final day for Nomination forms to be received by the secretary – so please pray, fill out the form, and drop it off ASAP. Speak to your elder if there is any difficulty in doing so.
Upcoming Dates for the Diary
Madagascar talk – Monday 30thMay –7pm on zoom.
Final reminder of the zoom meeting, on the usual link about a possible trip to Madagascar in summer 2023..
Wednesday 1st June
2pm – Castle Square – The guild ladies celebrate Jubilee week with food and fellowship
2pm – St. David’s Uniting Church – In a change to the intended schedule, join the guild ladies and gents for a light-hearted film and a cuppa.
Tuesday/Wednesday 14/15th June – ‘Us and Them‘
During May, The Ransack Dance Company have hired the hall at St. David’s Uniting Church as they rehearse for their new performance – ‘Us and Them’ – An ambitious double-bill production of athletic contemporary dance and breath-taking live music. They welcome us to join them for their shows at the Parc and Dare theatre at 7:30pm; tickets – £10 adult; £8 concession. Speak with Phil if you’re thinking of going.
URC Big Day Out 2022 ~ Saturday 25 June
To assist with the forward planning for the day please will anyone intending to go to the Big Day Out let Lynda know (email or phone) by Monday morning.
Thought for the Week
“The joy of seeing and understanding is the most perfect gift of nature.” Albert Einstein