Church Office Tel: 01443 300345
Admin email: [email protected]
Link for Live Stream: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1ftWuXHexnfFdo1FKwXBZA
18th June 2023
It’s ‘Father’s Day’, and although unlike Mothering Sunday not a Christian festival, it is widely celebrated as we give thanks for our fathers or the father figures in our lives.
It is also the beginning of Refugee Week and we have a special ‘father’, Revd Aled Edwards leading our worship today. Through his involvement with Displaced People in Action, a Cardiff based charity who support refugees and asylum seekers to live well within our communities, he must surely be regarded as a ‘father figure’.
We welcome everyone who joins us, especially if this is your first visit. And we invite you to join us in the hall following the service where tea and coffee will be served and a selection of handmade cards will also be available.
Church Family and Pastoral News
We include this in the newsletter to inform our prayers during the week.
- We think of George and Linda in Grand Cayman (George is a regular at our Zoom services), as Linda is currently in hospital. We hope the operation goes well and she is able to return home soon.
- We pray for Lee-Suan, (also of our Zoom congregation, who joined us last week from Penang), in her concern for her mother who is in hospital and not very well.
- Renda was able to phone her Mother last week and just managed to speak to her, but the signal cut out before her mum could say anything more than, “Yes, I’m alright”. Please pray for all the family.
- We think of a friend from our Ponty congregation who is in hospital for planned surgery which will result a period of inactivity, we look forward to when she is able to worship with us again.
- We think of those for whom this time of year has sad memories.
- The majority of our congregation are OK, there are a few who have ongoing minor ailments
Only one birthday this week that we are aware of; Marilyn Morgan will be celebrating on Monday 19th.
We hope you have a good day Marilyn!
Diary for the Week
Monday 19th Language Class 10.00am
Wednesday 21st Guides – 6.00pm
Thursday 22nd Tenovus ‘Sing with Us’ Choir – 7.00 – 8.00pm
Saturday 24th ‘Open Door’ evening (see below)
Sunday 25th Service with Rev Martin Spain 10.45am
July 2nd – Peter Noble July 9thZoom – Rev Ray Vincent July 16th – Lewis Lewis-Head
Refugee Week 19th– 25thJune,
Don’t forget our ‘Open Door’ Evening on Saturday 24th June, when we will welcome refugees and asylum seekers who live locally. Come along and join in the games and crafts as our refugee friends find out more about what opportunities there are for them in the area. All are welcome and refreshments will be provided. Make a note in your diary NOW ~ 6.00-8.00pm on Saturday!
Elders Nominations – A reminder
TODAY is the last day for Nomination forms for two places on the eldership. If you haven’t yet nominated anyone it’s not too late, there are Nomination slips on the table, and the box to post them in is by them.
All St. David’s Uniting Church members can nominate any other church member whom they deem to have the gifts and graces to serve God through church eldership. More than one name can be given.
From the Elders’ Meeting
Flowers: Following discussion, it has been agreed that we continue with the current system of taking flowers/chocolates to members who are unwell or in need of support, rather than putting a display in the church. The reasons for this are
- We aim to be an Eco church and the oasis we use is non- biodegradable
- The amount of preparation time for a display is out of proportion to the amount of time the flowers remain on display.
There will still be a need for a flower fund so donations to Marilyn Edwards will be gratefully received and we are grateful to Marilyn for the work she continues to do.
Future Ministry: At a meeting on June 9th with Elders of the 4 churches which will make up the new Regional Pastorate, St. David’s Uniting, Van Rd. Caerphilly, Hope Market Square Merthyr and Bethany Ystrad Mynach led by Martha and Branwen of URC, the following procedure was agreed:-
A small representative planning group will be convened to look at:-
- Individual church profiles
- Create a regional profile
- Discuss a mutually acceptable worship pattern
- Deployment of the manse
- Allocation of expenses
- Person specification
Our first meeting will be on Monday 10th July before our AGM so an update can be given at that meeting.
The Nova Kakhovka dam explosion has forced thousands of people to leave their homes. If you are able, please will you consider donating to help our global neighbours in Ukraine in the face of this new crisis. There is a collection plate on the table if you wish to donate.
Bus Trip…. seats still available
….. to Sidmouth on Tuesday 27th June. The 50+ group have arranged the trip and have spare seats on their coach -if anyone is interested, the price is £15 and will leave Pontypridd bus station at 9am. Names to Marcia TODAY, contact 07814440929. People who express an interest will need to pay immediately.
Thought for the Week
Maturity appears when we start to worry more about others than about ourselves.