& Castle Square URC
12th June 2022
We welcome everyone to our services for Trinity Sunday, whether you are joining us on Zoom or in person at St David’s. The link for Zoom is: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89461145366?pwd=S3ExNTVjdGVGdXlGVlNQc2k3eldudz09
Our zoom service today starts at 10:45am but is open from 10:30 so that everyone, including those in our community who cannot physically come to church – those who are mentally or physically unwell, those who live elsewhere – get to enjoy seeing familiar faces and catching up on news.
For those who can, and prefer to, gather physically, a parallel service will take place at Gelliwastad Road at 10:45 am
Church Family and Pastoral News
- We remember Stephen and Cerys’ family as they prepare to say a final goodbye on Tuesday. The service at Glyntaf at 9.45 for family, relatives and those not able to attend the public memorial service at St David’s United church at 11.00, which will be live streamed. No Flowers but donations gratefully accepted towards Neuroendocrine Cancer UK and/or Velindre Fundraising c/o Morgan Vowels Funeral Directors. Link for Live Stream – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1ftWuXHexnfFdo1FKwXBZA
- Pauline in her concern for her great niece who is very poorly. Her mother is with her constantly.
- Jayne Bright is quite a bit of pain and is hoping to hear when she can get a hospital appointment.
We are not aware of any birthdays being celebrated this week. If anyone has a birthday that we are not aware of, please let us know.
The people at Castle Square had a lovely service last Sunday and a fantastic afternoon tea! Thanks go to Jan Harris’ sister, Helen, for the catering. Everyone had a lovely time and we were all full when we left.
Those in St David’s will see some new banners for Trinity Sunday – thanks go to Carol who has created them.
“Many thanks to everyone who sent me good wishes on my birthday, last week. They were all very much appreciated, and added to the enjoyment of my day, spent with our family.” Margaret
“Thank you for the beautiful flowers which I received following my recent hip operation. They are much appreciated ~ I am improving daily and hope to be back in church soon.” Gwyneth
Christian Aid Week
SDUC £725, this includes £225 raised at the Games Evening. An extra £141.21 will be added through gift aid. Thanks to all those who supported the Games Evening, it was a great event.
Castle Square £170, an extra £23 will be added through gift aid.
Diary for the Week ~ St David’s
Monday 13th 10.00 am Language lessons 2.30 pm Service at Aspen House 7.00 pm Filia – Art Therapy.
Wednesday 15th 6.00 – 7.30 Guides.
Thursday 16th 7.00 pm Tenovus ‘Sing for life’ choir.
Next Sunday 19th 10.45am Rev Aled Edwards
Monday 13th 10.30 am Craft and Chat
Next Sunday 19th 11.00 am Rev Ray Vincent
Upcoming Dates for the Diary
There is a Music group rehearsal on Monday 20th June at 7 pm. Everyone is welcome to join us.
Phil is on annual leave 16 – 26th June when he will be enjoying a welcome from our Celtic siblings across the Irish Sea. During this time the Elders will help with any problems.
As more people are now joining us for worship, over the coming weeks we will discontinue some deliveries to St David’s folk. Newsletters will be distributed at the morning service and copies of the weekly reflection will be available on request. If you have a tablet or iPad, it is possible to access them even if you don’t have an email address.
Being Church in the New Landscape
Westminster College are running in-person workshops in City URC, Cardiff at 3pm, June 26, to explore church life and inspire us in Walking the Way. The workshop is free and lasts for approximately 90 minutes. Find out more here.
Thanks to all who helped and attended our games afternoon at St. David’s Uniting Church last Sunday. A great time was had by all as we marked the coming refugee week by sharing out table with friends fro m Syria and raising money for Christian Aid. There are a whole host of other events in Cardiff marking this year’s Refugee Week, including:
- Festival of Sanctuary – Sherman Theatre – 10 am – 5 pm, Tuesday 22nd June: We will be joined by the One World Choir to celebrate our festival day. Stories will be shared and food will be provided by Oasis Cardiff refugee centre.
- Syrian Cooking demonstration – St Fagan’s – 11 – 4 pm, Saturday 25th June visit Llwyn-yr-Eos farmhouse to meet Latifa and Rula from the Syrian Dinner Project for an opportunity to watch and learn how to make some traditional Syrian dishes.
It is also an opportune time to thank Viviane, Robert and Peter for all they do to support our Syrian friends and to hold all migrants, asylum seekers and refugees in prayer.
Living God, creator of all,
For people who are displaced, may they find a safe refuge.
For people who have lost control of their lives, may they know a sure foundation.
For people who live in fear, may they be given a strong fortress.
For people who are disillusioned, may they have hope in a future.
Loving God, in times of crisis, sorrow and uncertainty, we ask that you draw near. Amen
Thought for the Week
“There is a force more powerful than steam, electricity and atomic energy: willpower.” Albert Einstein