Church Office Tel: 01443 300345
Admin email: [email protected]
Link for Live Stream – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1ftWuXHexnfFdo1FKwXBZA
5th November 2023
We welcome you all to our services today, especially if you are a visitor or worshipping with us for the first time.
Dave Kitchen, a retired head teacher from Cardiff, is leading our services today. Dave is no stranger to us and we look forward what he has to share with us. The service has the title REMAKEABLE – not a typo for remarkable!
Tea and coffee will be served in the hall following the service, and homemade cards, including a selection for Christmas, will be on sale. Orders can be placed for personalised Cards.
All are welcome to join us for this time of informal fellowship.
Church Family and Pastoral News
We include this in the newsletter to inform our prayers during the week.
- We are very sorry to hear that Pat Cooke and Anne Coles have succumbed to Covid. We hope they recover soon and are being well looked after.
- Elsie has had her scan and is pleased to say that she has an appointment for the results the week after next.
- Brian will finally have his 6 monthly op this week, almost 6 months late! It had to be delayed due to his in-patient stays.
- We are aware that some people have had hospital appointments recently, which weren’t as helpful as was hoped. We pray that future appointments will give them answers.
Thanks & Good News
Marlene McCloy wishes to thank everyone for their good wishes on the occasion of her birthday, and is delighted to share the news that she is looking forward to meeting her new Great Niece. Elle who joined the family through adoption. Christmas will be wonderful this year!
There are four people that we are aware of who are celebrating their birthdays this week:
Heather Owen on Monday 6th, Christina Morris Groves on Thursday 9th, and Michael Howells, Beti Jones and Terry Powell on Saturday 11th. We hope you all enjoy your celebrations.
Diary for the Week
Monday 6th Language Class 10.00am.
Wednesday 8st St David’s Guild 2.00pm – see below 6pm Guides
Sunday 12th Remembrance Sunday Zoom Service with Rev Vaughan Rees
Parallel service led by Michael Howells at St David’s. We will also remember those we have loved and lost. You are welcome to bring photographs to use with candles during our prayer time
November 19th Rev Simeon Baker
November 26th Rev Ray Vincent ~ Communion Service
December 3rd 1st Sunday of Advent ~ Amnesty Service and Gift Sunday ~ Justice and Peace group
St David’s Guild
Last week we a small number gathered in the sanctuary for the PowerPoint presentation of Ynysangharad Memorial Park, how it has changed and is changing. The change of venue was made to avoid the noise from the alarm that had been triggered by a fault in the basement! We may well have a re-show in the future!
This week we will be entertained by Eira Roberts. Eira received a Community Saints Award in for being a Good Neighbour: ‘During lockdown she organised lots of activities, played the trumpet and acted as an MC. Such was her enthusiasm that the get-togethers were not short-lived occasions.’
Progress on our journey to Castle Square
These are the main points that were shared with us following the service last week.
- We have to make an in-person presentation to the URC Finance and Properties Board to receive their approval to move. Their next meeting is Mid- January.
- Then grants will be applied for, the URC needs to know that all monies are in place before we are given the final “go ahead”
- The works will go out to tender, the most suitable tender can be accepted, after many checks are made.
- As we’ve demonstrated a commitment to move, the URC has granted us an extension of 6 months to stay in our current building. The Thanksgiving service has therefore been postponed.
We appreciate that this information will be disappointing for some, but rest assured that all updates will be shared with you as soon as we are made aware of anything and there will be a further update at the Church meeting on December 3rd A full copy of the statement is on the table.
News from the URC Wales Synod
We have a New Moderator: The Revd David Salsbury has been nominated to serve as Moderator of the United Reformed Church (URC) National Synod of Wales, after the Revd Simon Walkling moved to become minister of the Swansea pastorate in September. The appointment was confirmed in October.
We look forward to meeting David, hopefully, in the new year.
Even though we will not now be moving until next year a start has been made to sort out the church office, there are bags of papers on the stage to be ripped and recycled, please feel free to take one home!
There will be more little jobs to help with in the coming months.
Used Postage stamps
We are still collecting stamps for Amnesty International, so please check your mail, cut off the stamps – leaving a small border – and put them in the box on the table. Please remember the barcode is part of the stamp.
Thought for the week
“Practice empathy. Try to see things from other people’s points of view.”
Jackson Brown Jr.