Church Office Tel: 01443 300345
Admin email: [email protected]
Link for Live Stream https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1ftWuXHexnfFdo1FKwXBZA
23rd April 2023
We would like to apologise to everyone who subscribes to receiving the newsletter through the website every week. We were trying a new way of publishing it, but there were some problems which meant that it wasn’t viewable. So, we’re reverting to our old way of doing it. Here it is!
We extend a warm welcome to everyone who joins us for worship today, either in person, or via YouTube, we hope that you will find inspiration from the service.
Our service today was to have been led by Rev Martin Spain, unfortunately he has ‘flu’ and has been advised to stay at home. We wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him in June.
We are very grateful to Iestyn who has stepped in and has planned the service with the help of URC Worship Notes by Revd. Dr Michael Hopkins.
Rev Ray Vincent will share an unusual slant on the Emmaus story with his sermon ‘Resurrection in the Old Testament’ .
The service will include the celebration of the Lord’s Supper which will be led by Michael Howells. ALL are welcome to share it.
Church Family and Pastoral News
We include this in the news sheet to inform our prayers
Sadly we have two deaths to report this week. Loreen Davies and Mary Robins both passed away on Sunday 16 April.
- Loreen was admitted to hospital last week with an infection but was not strong enough to fight it. Loreen joined our fellowship over 30 years ago, those who sat near her will have had the pleasure of hearing her sing. She had a great love of singing and conducted the Ynysybwl Ladies Choir and the WI choir which met at Church House. In her younger years she was a soloist with Pontypridd Male Voice Choir. Loreen had been unable to worship with us for a number of years due to poor health, but she always wanted to know what was happening in her church. We keep her son’s, Adrian and Greg and their families in our prayers at this sad time. Funeral details to follow.
- Mary was a pillar of Porth URC for well over 40 years, many of them as an Elder, she was responsible for the ‘speakers’ in the Ladies Guild. Mary has worshipped at St David’s since her church closed in 2016, and had become an important part of our fellowship and frequently contributed to our services. Until the pandemic Mary came to Ladies Guild. She has not been well for a number of months and was transferred to Ysbyty Cwm Rhondda in February; her passing has come as a shock to all. We hold her daughter Helen, grandsons Dylan and Owen and other family members along with John, who is a long-standing family friend, in our prayers. She will be greatly missed.
- We continue to keep Graham and the family in our thoughts as they adjust to life without Mair.
- We hold those who are unwell, and their carer’s, in our prayers as they face the challenges that each day brings.
- We think of those who are missing loved ones on their special days.
- We remember our Syrian friends as they celebrate Eid this weekend.
There are three people we know of who are celebrating their birthday’s this week: Anne Coles ~ on Sunday 23rd, Margaret Holcombe ~ Tuesday 25th, and Mark Crowley ~ who will be 40 on Thursday 27th. An E Card will be sent to Mark. We trust you will all be able to celebrate with family and friends.
From Lynda…..Thank you for all the good wishes I received on my birthday, including the ‘Happy Birthday’ cacophony before the zoom service. I had a very good day in the company of friends.
From Brian (& Marcia)…. I finally came home from hospital on Thursday, after 17 days, 5 of which I have no recollection. At the moment I am struggling with my hearing which I hope will improve. I would like to thank everyone for their concern, it is comforting to know that so many people care. Thankyou!
Fodda Al Numerie one of our long-time friends at the language class has been awarded English Language Learner of the Year by the Nation of Sanctuary Awards at a ceremony in Cardiff City Hall. We are very proud of her.
Diary for the Week
|Language Class 10.00 am
|Tenovus ‘Sing with Us’ Choir 7.00 pm
|Synod Sunday Zoom service from 10.30 am
It has been suggested that we join the three churches – Hope Market Square, Merthyr, Van Road Caerphilly and Bethany Ystrad Mynach, in the Valleys Pastorate. The elders will be meeting with the elders of those churches asap.
Our move to Castle Square
The URC Wales Trust is willing to retain responsibility for the Castle Square building until either a move or the 31stDecember 2023 whichever is earliest.
Prior to any move to Castle Square a new Mission Statement needs to be agreed. This can be used to provide direction for the work to be undertaken at Castle Square and used as the basis for applying for funding.
Rev Stephen Best will act as accompanier to support us through the process and chair Church Meetings.
Plans are being drawn to adapt the building, making better use of the space for worship and other work we will do there.
May 7th Michael Howells
May 14th Christian Aid Service – Justice and Peace group and Jennifer Weaver of Christian Aid
May 21st Rev Branwen Rees
Thought for the Week
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be only afraid of standing still.” Chinese Proverb