Church Office Tel: 01443 300345
Admin email: [email protected]
Link for Live Stream – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1ftWuXHexnfFdo1FKwXBZA
19th February 2023
We welcome you all to our services today: if you are a visitor or worshipping with us for the first time, we hope you will feel ‘at home’ and return again soon.
We especially welcome our good friend Haydn Blackey who is leading our worship this morning.
As the service will be live-streamed Haydn will not be able to move around as he would like to, but no doubt we will be blessed with his presence and his message to us!
After Service Refreshments & Handmade cards.
We will be serving tea and coffee after today’s service. We invite you to take this time to catch up with friends. Colleen’s hand-made cards will be available, whatever type of card you require there is sure to be one available, as there are cards for all occasions.
Church Family and Pastoral News
We include this in the news sheet to inform our prayers.
- We sadly report that Edith Thomas passed away on Monday. Edith was an Elder of Porth URC and used to worship with us occasionally when she was a resident at Ty Porth. Our thoughts are with her family and her friends from Porth as they wait for the funeral.
- We think of Cyril and his grandsons as they gather at Temple Baptist tomorrow (20th) at 12pm to say their final farewell to Janet. Refreshments will be served following the service, while the family will attend a private service at Glyntaf. They will return to Temple following that Service.
- Mary Robins has been in the Royal for a number of weeks and has now been moved to Ward 14, she is continuing to improve, albeit slowly.
- Elsie has had her second treatment and was very tired after it, one more to go, and hopefully, all will be well. We’ll wait for the results.
- Sue Salmon has had Covid; although she is now testing negative, she is coughing a lot.
- Please remember those members of our fellowship who have been unwell or are recovering from falls, and those who are in hospital.
- We think of people who have suffered family bereavements in recent days and others who have had to wait for many weeks before the funeral could take place.
- Friday is the one-year anniversary of the war in Ukraine, we ask you to pray for peace.
- Dates from the Public Issues Calendar to include in our prayers.
February is LGBT+ History Month
12 Racial Justice Sunday
19 Church Action on Poverty Sunday
20 World Day of Social Justice
There is just one birthday this week that we are aware of – Simon Morris-Groves will be celebrating on Monday 20th Enjoy!
…..from Mary. ‘Thank you for the messages, cards, and good wishes I have received, which are very much appreciated.’
Diary for the Week
Monday 20th Language Class 10.00 am
Wednesday 22nd St David’s Guild – 2.00 pm – 3.30 pm (see below)
Thursday 23rd Tenovus ‘Sing with Us’ Choir 6.30 pm
Sunday 26th 10.45 am TBC. David Powell is standing in at his home Church due to illness.
We look forward to welcoming him later in the year.
St David’s Guild
The talk about the bee-keeping year given by John King last week was most interesting. This week we look forward to welcoming Mrs Margaret Medlow of Club 707 who will speak to us about Schools Ministry in Caerphilly.
News from the Elders Meeting.
The Elders have met with URC Synod representatives to discuss what we hope for from future ministry.
As we are needing to clear excess items from the stage we have a number of tables with tubular legs and Formica tops which might be suitable for garages or sheds. We have 5 – 120L x 60W x 65H, 2 – 114L x 68W x 71H and 2 low tables-114 x 114 x 31.
If you are interested, speak Lynda.
Book for Lent
The book, ‘Women of Holy Week’ by Paula Gooder, An Easter Journey in 9 stories is available on the Eden website if you would like to order it for Lent. It costs £8.49 & Postage. Orders over £10 (free postage) https://www.eden.co.uk/christian-books/easter-and-lent-books/lent-books-for-individuals/women-of-holy-week/
It is also available on Kindle via Amazon
Many thanks to all those who donated used stamps over the Christmas period. They have now been sorted and sent off to Amnesty International. Just one thing to note – the new stamps with the barcode must NOT have the barcode cut off. The barcode IS part of the stamp. Please keep saving your stamps during the year.
March 5th 10.45 Lewis Lewis-Head March 12th ZOOM Rev Ray Vincent
Thought for the week
Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action.
Benjamin Disraeli 1804-1881