Rev. Dr. Phil Wall
Tel: 01443 300345 Mob: 07855090360
3rd June 2018
We welcome everyone to our services today which promises to be a colourful and joyous occasion as we welcome Ny Ako, a group of Christian dancers and musicians from Madagascar who will be taking a very active part in our service this morning, which is being led by Phil.
We look forward to this time of fellowship with them and to meeting with them and learning more about them as we share a meal together after the service.
This evening at 6pm we will follow the traditional Benedictine (Lectio Divina) practice of scriptural reading, meditation and prayer culminating with Communion.
Fairtrade coffee and tea will be served in the hall after this morning’s service and all are welcome to join in this time of informal fellowship.
There may be a shortage of seats!
Please remember the copper pot and empty your purses or pockets of those unwanted ‘coppers’. They will be put to good use by local charities.
Hymns: Guide me O thou Great Redeemer
228 I danced in the morning
May you find peace
Readings 2 Samuel 6:1-5, 12-15
Goodbye At Last: Lion Storyteller Bible
Diary for the Week
Monday 4th Language Class 9.30-13.00
Karate Clubs 16.30-19.30
Stamp Club 19.00-21.00
Tuesday 5th Kids Club at Church House
Wednesday 6th Rainbows & Guides from 16.45
Thursday 7th Sing for Life Choir 18.30-20.00
Saturday 9th Cantorion 10.30- 11.30
Sunday 10th Our Family Service at 10.45am will be led by our minister and our evening worship in the style of Iona will be led by Margaret and Chris
Church Family and Pastoral News
As we cope with the restraints of General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) we are unable to ‘name’ names in Church Family and Pastoral News. We do however still continue to care and pray for those who are in need of our love and support. So, we ask that if you know of anyone who you think we should pray for then please share this with Phil or your Elder. Until we have completed our task of obtaining permission we will continue to generalise.
People to hold in your thoughts and prayers today and during this week:
- The friends in our fellowship who struggle daily with pain and illness.
- All we know who are taking exams and the families who support them.
- People who are starting a course of treatment.
- There are several people who are unable to worship with us because of illness or family responsibilities. A phone call or visit would let them know they are not forgotten!
This Week and in the Future……
Ladies Guild hope to meet on 12 noon on June 13th for their monthly Fish and Chip lunch which will be followed by a time of ‘fun’. We will contact everyone for their order by Monday 11th.
Celebration Sunday and AGM
Our AGM is just 3 weeks on Monday! (25th) The reports from organisations should be with Marcia by June 10th.
If you are the leader of a group/organisation within the church, can you please reflect/pray about how you can participate/celebrate your year on Celebration Sunday (June 24th)? Do you have photos you could share; a reflection to offer; a hymn to choose; an illustration of what you do in your group? Whatever it might be – small or something more – this is the Sunday each year where you get to share the amazing things you’re doing with the rest of the church…so please blow your trumpets and show us your gifts as we thank God for this community. Please share any thoughts with Phil.
Next month, we will be hosting a number of events to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the founding of the NHS. This is a chance for us to pray for and say thanks to all the hardworking women and men who work tirelessly to aid our health and well-being. You can be involved in this in a number of ways:
- Speak! Got a memory about what your family used for healthcare before medicine was more widely available? Speak to Pam about sharing your stories for posterity.
- Come! Attend the Night of Celebration with Tredegar Town Band and Special Guests. 14th July, 7pm at the church. Tickets: £10 downstairs, £8 upstairs. Tickets available from Lynda or at Eventbrite eventbrite.co.uk/e/god-bless-the-nhs-tickets-46047659790
- Walk! Join Bethan, Phil and others at the end of our epic Rhyl – Cardiff walk. Could you manage walking from Merthyr- Ponty via the Taff Trail on Saturday 14th July (15 miles) or, come support us for the final few steps, from the Bevan statue by Cardiff Castle to the Senedd (1.7 miles) at 11:15am on Tuesday 17th July when we present our thanks and work to the Welsh Assembly in the company of Tenovus Sing for Life Choir.
- Worship! Our Sunday morning worship during July will all focus on the theme of health and wholeness so even those who aren’t able to participate in the other events can still be involved as we say ‘God Bless the NHS
Our total for Christian Aid Fundraising has now risen from £720.30 to £845 which includes £90 received from gift aiding! Thankyou to all who supported the various fundraising activities and gave so generously.
Jun 17th am Rev Ray Vincent 4pm Film & Chat
Jun 24th am Rev Dr Phil Wall 6pm Discussion & Communion
Flowers for June are being donated by
Jane & Roger Bright, Anne Hill, and Carol Powell
Thought for the Week
Develop interest in life as you see it;
in people, things, literature, music –
the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures,
beautiful souls and interesting people.
Henry Miller 1891-1980