Rev. Dr. Phil Wall
Tel: 01443 300345 Mob: 07855090360
1st July 2018
Our Sunday morning worship during July will all focus on the theme of health and wholeness as we say ‘God Bless the NHS’
So, we welcome you all here today as our own Rev Ray Vincent kicks the month off while Phil is at Castle Sq this morning: at 6pm Phil will lead our evening service, which will include communion.
We invite you all to join us in the hall following the morning service when tea and coffee will be service and handmade cards will be on sale.
Don’t forget that the copper pot is on the table! Put your ‘coppers’ in there and they will be used by local charities.
362: O for a thousand tongues to sing
180: God’s Spirit is in my heart
548: When I needed a neighbour
‘From you all skill and science flow’
Thought for the Week
There’s only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that’s your own self.
Aldous Huxley 1894-1963
Diary for the Week
Monday 2nd Language Class 9.30-13.00
Karate Clubs 16.30-19.30
Stamp Club 19.00
Tuesday 3rd Kids Club at Church House
Wednesday 4th NHS Fish & Chips 12.30pm see This Week….
Rainbows & Guides from 16.45
Thursday 5th Sing for Life Choir 18.30-20.00
Sunday 8th Our Family Service at 10.45am will be led by Iestyn. At 6pm we will have an Iona Healing service. See Notices
Church Family and Pastoral News
People to hold in your thoughts and prayers today and during this week:
- We continue to remember those of our fellowship who care for elderly or infirm relatives or are receiving treatment for cancer and other life changing illnesses. And those who are confined to their homes.
- Phil and Bethan as they continue to train for their walk from Rhyl to Cardiff, which starts next Sunday!
- Those who have difficult decisions to make about their future or the future of loved ones
We rejoice with Jan Bayliss on the news that her granddaughter Abigail, a former member of Sunday Club at Church House, has achieved a 1st class honours (BSc) in Physical Education and Sport and has been accepted on a Postgraduate Certificate in Education next term.
News from the Church Meeting
Liz Henson & Peter Davies were affirmed as Elders.
Lynda Bull has taken the role of Church Secretary.
Finances will be dealt with by the new Finance Team.
Bethan Walkling is our minute Secretary
Chris Fennell (Readers) has retired, Viviane and Maralyn T will share the role.
All other officers are unchanged
A request was made for volunteers for a Sound & Vision Team.
We were introduced to Julie Kirby, a student minister, more info next week!
This Week and in the Future……
God Bless the NHS – www.godblessthenhs.org.uk
Celebrating the 70th Anniversary of founding the NHS.
What we have planned!
- Wednesday 4th – 12.30pm Ladies Guild Fish & Chip Lunch followed by promotional mini film clips of the NHS and maybe sharing stories! Everyone is invited (including men) Cost £5 Give your order to Marilyn Leach today!
- Wednesday 11th – 6pm – Schools concert. No charge!
- Friday 13th – Meet at 3:45pm: Ride on the Brecon Railway More details next week
- Saturday 14th WALK. Join Bethan, Phil and others at the end of our epic Rhyl – Cardiff walk. 8:30am from Bevan Memorial and/or 12:30pm from Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Village (Subway) to Ponty via the Taff Trail! More details next week.
- Saturday 14th – 7 pm A Night of Celebration with Tredegar Town Band and Special Guests. Compered by Beverley Humphreys. Tickets: £10 downstairs, £8 upstairs. Tickets available from Lynda TODAY
- Tuesday 17th –11am WALK – Come support us for the final few steps, from the Bevan statue by Cardiff Castle to the Senedd (1.7 miles) when we present our thanks and work to the Welsh Assembly in the company of Tenovus Sing for Life Choir.
You can also……
- Speak & Write! You have a choice! Share your memories about what your family used for healthcare before medicine was more widely available? Take a card and write your experiences on the back or contact Pam if you have a story to talk about.
- Volunteer! We need stewards from 6pm at the Children’s Concert from 6pm on July 11th and at the Celebration Concert on July 14th Sign up sheets are on the table at the back today!
- Get a T Shirt. Anyone who would like to get clothing printed with the ‘God Bless the NHS’ logo, please go to Valley Sports (Market Square) where they can do this for £12 (+ the price of clothing if not providing it)
Next Sunday Evening to celebrate ‘God Bless the NHS’ we will have an Iona healing service. We invite people to write down the names of anyone they would like prayed for and place them in the box on the back table.
Looking forward to the Pulpit Exchange and the arrival of Rev Dan Spragg and family in late August’ They are keen cyclists and could also benefit from the use of a car!
Do you have unused bicycles and helmets or a car that isn’t being used! If the answer is YES please speak to Phil.
An appeal for hosts! Back in early 2017 – we learnt from ShareDydd about hosting Asylum Seekers in Cardiff and we gave financial support.
ShareDydd have been contacted by Refugees at Home, an organisation they partner with, to find hosts. They are looking for families in Pontypridd to host a young male refugee who is moving to Pontypridd to study in October but needs to attend an access course for 10 weeks over the summer. They have a couple of likely places but are looking for more people willing to be a host for 2 weeks or so. Please contact Lynda if you can help
Jul 15th am Rev Dr Phil Wall 4pm Film & Chat
Jul 22nd am Rev Dr Phil Wall 6pm Discussion & Communion
Flowers for July are being donated by
Anne Coles, Pam Mahoney, Jean & John Davies,
Maralyn Tomlinson, Madeline Howells and Cyril Davies
Something to think about
A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.
Walter Winchell 1879-1972