& Castle Square URC
8th August 2021
We extend a warm welcome to everyone who joining our worship today whether at home via zoom, watching later on YouTube or reading the script that has been delivered by our loyal couriers.
Phil will be enjoying his lunch near the bandstand in the park today between 12:30 and 14:30. If others would like to come along, he would be glad to see them!!!
With the latest news that Wales has moved to Alert Level 0 which, among other things means
- There will be no legal limits on the number of people who can meet, including in private homes, public places or at events.
- Face coverings remain a legal requirement indoors, with the exception of hospitality premises. This will be kept under review.
- Unfortunately, the pandemic is not over yet and we all need to work together to do everything we can to keep this virus under control – at alert level zero, everything we do will have an impact on this virus.
- We are advised “Taking responsibility and working together means we can all do the things we’ve missed the most. We’ve all got a reason to keep Wales safe.”
When in church we are required, until advised by our parent bodies, to maintain social distancing and wear a face mask, if you are able to. Hopefully being able to join in singing will not be too far away!
Church Family and Pastoral News
We include this in the news sheet to inform our prayers.
- Pauline Robbins has had her hip operation and has walked around the ward with the aid of a Zimmer frame. She is now, hopefully, recovering at home with her sister looking after her.
- Chris Morris had his operation on Monday but was kept in for observation and did not return home until Saturday. He is looking forward to not being woken at an early hour!
- Brenda Elias is half way through her treatment but had a rough start to the week. She is now feeling a lot better.
- Cerys is taking time out as she recovers from her recent treatment. She is quite tired.
- Janet Butler’s sister Carolyn, who is suffering with MS is in need of our prayers. Also Janet in her concern for her
- Dianne is exercising every day following her hip operation and will be seeing the Physio next week.
- Lee Suan was burgled while she was visiting Jan so she had to return home. Fortunately, nothing was taken as the alarm went off, but there is damage to the patio doors.
- We pray for all those involved in fighting the Wild Fires in many parts of the world.
Ben has been accepted by Swansea University to do his PhD through the medium of Welsh in the undergrad department starting in October. He will be studying the role of community memory of disasters in post-industrial contexts in Wales. Congratulations Ben and Good Luck!!
Birthdays this week
Janet Bayliss – Tuesday 10th, Jane Jones -Thursday 12th, Rosie O’Callaghan Williams, Rhiannon Howells and last bur definitely not least, Colleen Rowan – Saturday 14th. With restrictions being lifted you should all be able to celebrate with family and friends. Enjoy it!
Glyn Street PCW Ynysybwl
We are sad to report that a service of closure for Glyn Street PCW, Ynysybwl took place on Wednesday 4th August. Glyn Street was part of the pastorate with St David’s PCW and Graig PCW. We hold the members of the fellowship in our prayers at this time and hope that they will be happy in their new spiritual home, wherever that may be.
**The deadline for elder nominations for St. David’s Uniting Church is today. Please ensure that your nominations are in. Here is a final reminder of the details..**
1) All St. David’s Uniting Church members can nominate any other church member whom they deem to have the gifts and graces to serve God through church eldership. More than one name can be given and neither a seconder, nor the permission of the person you’re nominating needs to be sought.
2) Those who are finishing a term of their current eldership (Pam Mahoney, Liz Henson, Michael Howells, Peter Davies) are willing to be reconfirmed as elders, but still need to be nominated. There is one vacancy.
Following the Government announcement, we are continuing with our current schedule of services until the end of September, hopefully with relaxed conditions in the sanctuary. Thus, the service schedule will be:
10:45am Morning Service in the sanctuary;
4.00pm Zoom storytelling Communion. Theme is: holiday!
10:45am Morning Service on Zoom
All morning services available on paper, on our website and on YouTube.
Next Sunday will include two opportunities to share Christ’s meal together. In the morning, we will have Communion as part of our morning service in St. David’s Uniting Church – also live-streamed and later on YouTube. Bread and non-alcoholic wine will be provided.
At 4pm in the afternoon, we host our second zoom storytelling Communion in which members are encouraged to come with a story to share on this month’s theme: holiday. It could be the story of a childhood holiday or family excursion; overseas adventure or domestic wet weekend. It could be a funny tale or a serious one; a story with a twist or a simple recollection of joy. There’s no right or wrong length or overall feeling – it doesn’t have to have a message or be a masterpiece – just be true to your experience, and if you would rather come and simply listen rather than share, that’s okay too. So 4pm, next Sunday, let’s share and celebrate!
Colleen is still taking card orders to try and raise funds for the church. So, if you’ve any special occasions coming up get in touch with her and you can have a personalised card. Delivery can be arranged if you are unable to collect.
St David’s Uniting Church Vision Committee Document
To all who attend St. David’s Uniting Church. The vision document you received last week is no small thing – in terms of form or content. We hope you have had time to read it both carefully and prayerfully. No decision needs to be made at this time – we all need time to digest the suggestion within the letter over the summer before we make space to discuss it at the church meeting in September and in subsequent parts of our church life. Your elder or pastoral buddy will have been, or will be, in touch to check in with you and your response to the document. In the meantime, as it says in the letter, let us remember that we come from God; we belong to God; our true home is in God. Nothing and no-one can change that or ever separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus.
Number 1. Green bottle tops. In September we will be doing all sorts of activities and events to mark the season of creation as we look towards the COP26 Conference in Glasgow and raising our voice that as followers of Christ we demand that our leaders take a serious stance when it comes to the climate crisis and what we can do lessen it if not negate it. So, collect the green milk bottle tops and get them to us so we can create something magical out of them in September.
Number 2. A challenge for posterity! Looking back over these last 17 months.
What’s been easy, what’s been hard, what have you enjoyed and what you have found really difficult?
When did God feel far away and when might God have felt close?
When did you feel most drained, and when did you feel most alive?
What have you learned, what have you discovered and what have you been reminded about?
Send a photograph of yourself, preferably head and shoulders and complete the sentence
‘The thing I have learnt through lockdown is.. ’or ’the thing I’ve been reminded about during lockdown is..’
Send in to Robert at firstname.lastname@example.org or give to your courier and Robert will create something!
We are grateful to Marcia and our couriers for keeping up the newsletter over the August period when we would normally have a break. In this transient time, when things are gradually getting back to a regular pattern of things, being reminded what is happening when – alongside everything else that the newsletter offers – is hugely appreciated!
A Thought for the Week
No pessimist ever discovered
the secrets of the stars,
or sailed to an uncharted land
or opened a new heaven
to the horizon of the spirit
ZOOM SERVICES: Log in opens at 10.30 for pre service chat. Services will start at 10.45 or as advertised. Zoom service link – https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89461145366?pwd=S3ExNTVjdGVGdXlGVlNQc2k3eldudz09
LIVE STREAM SERVICES – to join go to https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1ftWuXHexnfFdo1FKwXBZA where you should be able to join the service. Don’t join too early!