& Castle Square URC
Minister: Rev. Dr Phil Wall
Tel: 01443 300345 Mob: 07855090360
Admin email: firstname.lastname@example.org
8th November 2020 Remembrance Sunday
Although there will be no March Past the Cenotaph today, a National Service of Remembrance at the Cenotaph will still take place. The closed ceremony will be broadcast live on BBC One when representatives of the Royal Family, the Government and the Armed Forces lay wreaths at the Cenotaph.
Today, as part of the online service – and for those not online at home – or watching later on YouTube – we will be observing the suggested 2-minute silence as if we were in Church. During this time maybe you could focus on a poppy, light a candle, or go to your front door for the observance if you’re able. Bring your own thermals!
Tomorrow the fire break in Wales comes to an end and there are new rules for us to follow. BUT for many we will be able to see our families again, we are advised to:
- Stay out of each other’s homes, except in very limited circumstances
- Limit the times you leave your home, and the distance you travel
- When you do leave home, please try and be restrained in how many different people you see. It is better to see the same one or two people regularly than to see lots of different people occasionally
- maintain social distancing, including outdoors
- meet people outdoors rather than indoors where possible, even in circumstances where the law allows you to meet indoors
Church Family and Pastoral News
We include this in the news sheet to inform our prayers.
- We ask your prayers for all the staff working to care for Covid patients as we see on the news that they are ‘exhausted, stressed and broken.’
- Those in hospital: We are pleased to say that Bernice is now in Ward 15 and is improving slowly; Chris was moved to Ysbyty Cwm Rhondda last weekend, no further news of Sue. We still to hold them in our prayers.
- We are aware that some people have had doctors’ consultations and are waiting for results.
- Dorothy has not been well but is now well on the road to recovery.
- Elsie’s sister, Sandra in Ty Gwynno, has improved slightly. we keep her and the family in our prayers.
- We think of those in residential care: Jan received a call from Margaret’s niece. Margaret Major, Caroline Jones, Benda Jones and Diana Hayns are all fine and are being well looked after.
- We remember the Elders of St David’s as they meet via zoom this afternoon to plan for Advent and beyond.
Birthdays this week …..
Just three people we are aware of with birthdays this week. On Monday 9 November Christina Morris, Wednesday 11th Beti Jones and Michael Howells.
You are invited to (a Welsh language) Interfaith Devotional for Interfaith Week UK hosted by the Cardiff Bahá’í Community on Zoom where sacred verses from different faiths will be read in Welsh with inspirational music.
Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89219396584?pwd=UEVCT2VZbnNzZGZESkFY M1p6V1NKQT09
Meeting ID: 892 1939 6584 Passcode: 423611
We are also invited to attend an (English language) evening of music, readings and personal experiences of faith. Thursday 12th November 2020 7.00pm to 8.30pm. If you would like to attend, please send an email to Sasha Perriam at email@example.com
Are you looking after someone? Join other carers across Wales for a chat and information. Care for a Cuppa sessions take place every Tuesday afternoon between 14:30 and 16:30. Me Time sessions take place over various dates and times, including evenings and weekends. All sessions are online so you can join from the comfort of your home. To find out more email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.carersuk.org/wales or telephone 02920 811 370
A powerful portrayal of the difficulties of life in the occupied Palestinian territories. will be given by the pastor of the Evangelical Christmas Lutheran Church in Bethlehem, on Tuesday 17 November, 7.00 – 8.00 pm. Some people heard it live earlier in the year and recommend it. If you would like to register for a link to attend this event, please contact email@example.com
I you have a Leprosy Mission box please can you arrange to get it to Pat by the end of November. If you choose to send a cheque please make it payable to St David’s Uniting Church and send it to Pat. If you are unable to do either give Pat a call and we will arrange to collect it.
Midweek Reflection / Challenge
Last week we were thinking of darkness and we were encouraged to send in poems and photographs about the dark and how the darkness around us is a good thing. This week’s reflection focused on Interfaith Week when we celebrate the diversity and the unity of our faiths. Phil recalled that last year he went on a ‘Walk of Light’ organised by the interfaith council, when we encountered all places of worship and people of various faiths, we walked together with our lights and ate and shared our faith. Sharing. See item above for this year’s ‘events’
This week we are asked to share what we have learnt from someone of a different world view – it could be political, a faith or no faith, animal rights or anything like that. Send them in in the usual way or share on the phone.
Challenge for Advent!
It’s just three weeks to Advent and we are still a few short of the 24 videos that we need for our digital advent calendar! So, if you have a much-loved present that you would like to share with us but are unsure about to how to do a video contact Bethan or Phil, and arrangements will be made to help you. Don’t let the lack of technology stop you!
Last week, Brian and Marcia generously sponsored the printing of the newsletter and sermon in celebration of their anniversary, saying that in ‘normal times’ they would have given their money for flowers. If you feel led to remember, celebrate or simply to support this important part of our ministry at the moment by doing similarly, please contact Marcia.
A Thought for the week.
You can’t change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying over the future.
Thank God for what you have, Trust God for what you need.
Weekly Zoom service: Log in opens at 10.30 for pre service chat. Service will start at 10.45.
Zoom service link – https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89461145366?pwd=S3ExNTVjdGVGdXlGVlNQc2k3eldudz09