Rev. Dr. Phil Wall
Tel: 01443 300345 Mob: 07855090360
17th June 2018
We extend a warm welcome to everyone who joins us for worship today, both, especially if you are a visitor or worshipping with us for the first time.
We give a special welcome to our own Ray Vincent who is leading our service this morning which will include the celebration of the Lords Supper. All are invited to share the bread and wine with us.
This afternoon at 4pm we have our monthly ‘Film & Chat’, see This Week…..
Fair-traded refreshments will be served in the hall following the morning service and Handmade cards will be on sale, we invite you to join us for this time of informal fellowship.
As always, the Copper pot is on the table at the back of the church waiting for your coppers, which will eventually benefit local charities.
Hymns: 17 All people that on earth do dwell
137 For the beauty of the earth
170 God is love let heaven adore him
96 Come, risen Lord
293 Lead us heavenly Father, lead us
Readings Psalm 103 Luke 15:11-32 (Good as New)
Diary for the Week
Monday 18th Language Class 9.30-13.00
Karate Clubs 16.30-19.30
Tuesday 19th Kids Club at Church House
RCT Aspergers Support Group,
Wednesday 20th Rainbows & Guides from 16.45
Thursday 21st Sing for Life Choir 18.30-20.00
Sunday 24th Our Minister will lead our Family Celebration Service at 10.45am. At 6pm we will meet at Church house for a table discussion and communion.
Church Family and Pastoral News
People to hold in your thoughts and prayers today and during this week:
- Those of our fellowship who are receiving treatment for cancer
- All you are unable to worship with us for whatever reason
- For all those involved in the God Bless the NHS Project, especially Phil and Bethan as they train for their walk from Rhyl to Cardiff.
- Those who are sharing their ministry with friends elsewhere: Phil at Castle Square this morning. Ray at Edwardsville URC this evening
This Week and in the Future……
For our Film & Chat this afternoon we will be watching a gritty, highly acclaimed British Film which retells an Oscar Wilde parable in a contemporary, dark and dramatic style. Certificate 15 – contains strong language throughout.
Next Sunday (24th) is our Celebration Sunday when we will reflect on ALL that we have done since the last AGM!! If you are the leader of a group/organisation within the church and will be sharing photos, a reflection or maybe a hymn or an illustration of what you do in your group it will be great for others to see the amazing things you’re doing! So please ’show off’ and share your gifts as we thank God for this community! Whatever it might be Phil would like to hear from you!
Church AGM is on Monday 25th June; This year, as a church we have nominated Liz Henson and Peter Davies to serve as elders. We are delighted that they are willing to serve and their appointments will be affirmed at the AGM! Please come along and support YOUR church. The reports are available today. They make very interesting reading! If you want an email copy speak you elder!
Last Sunday we heard about the work of CAP (Christians Against Poverty).
They are looking for people from local churches to bring encouraging smiles and helping hands to clients who are overcoming various addiction. They are holding an event where you can learn more at St Catherine’s Church on Thursday 28th June at 1pm, a light lunch will be provided.
God Bless the NHS – www.godblessthenhs.org.uk
Next month, we are hosting a number of events to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the founding of the NHS. You can be involved in this in a number of ways:
- Speak! Share your memories about what your family used for healthcare before medicine was more widely available? Contact Pam if you have a story to share.
- Volunteer! We will need stewards from 6pm at the Children’s Concert on Wednesday July 11th and at the Celebration Concert on Saturday July 14th. Sign up sheets are on the table!
- Come! Attend the Night of Celebration with Tredegar Town Band and Special Guests. Compered by Beverley Humphreys. 14th July, 7pm at the church. Tickets: £10 downstairs, £8 upstairs. Tickets available from Lynda TODAY or at Eventbrite eventbrite.co.uk/e/god-bless-the-nhs-tickets-46047659790
- Walk! Join Bethan, Phil and others at the end of our epic Rhyl – Cardiff walk. Could you manage walking from Merthyr- Ponty via the Taff Trail on Saturday 14th July (15 miles) or, come support us for the final few steps, from the Bevan statue by Cardiff Castle to the Senedd (1.7 miles) at 11:15am on Tuesday 17th July when we present our thanks and work to the Welsh Assembly in the company of Tenovus Sing for Life Choir.
Any items for next week’s news sheet should be with Alison by Wednesday afternoon. Email email@example.com
Don’t forget when visiting Sainsbury’s that the Pontypridd FoodBank has been shortlisted as Sainsbury’s Local Charity of the Year, so cast your vote in store or on line at www.sainsburyslocalcharity.co.uk and let’s see if they can be the winner! Voting closes on June 25th
Jul 1st am Rev Ray Vincent 6pm Contemplative
Jul 8th am Iestyn Henson 6pm Iona style worship
Flowers for June are being donated by
Jane & Roger Bright, Anne Hill, Carol Powell and Kath Couchman
Thought for the Week
Far away there in the sunshine are my biggest aspirations.
I may not reach them but I can look up and see their beauty,
believe in them and try to follow them.
Louisa May Alcott, 1832-1888